November 21, 2010
Due to interest of people about this place, I will ignore my tragic memory and blog about it. After sometime I didn't post anything about travel but today I finally decide to write one, and hopefully I will continue this until the last part.
Anyway, I'm just going to do some simple touch 'n go about point of interest around Perth & Western Australia (WA) for you to plan your journey. Basically WA is so big that you have to spend at least about 5-7 days to cover it. If you spend less than 5 days, I would suggest you to just move around Perth and down south from Fremantle to Augusta. However, that journey will be quite rushing and probably you don't really enjoy it.
First, I'm going to give you some idea of what it's like to drive in Australia.
1. To rent a car/van/whatever, you must have a valid driving license. Malaysian driving license is accepted here.
2. You need to have an active credit card or debit card because some remote place like Lake King doesn't have cash facility coz there's only small booth for credit card/debit card for you to make transaction to buy petrol/gas (and you have to DIY since there's no one waiting to help you). Really, that place is much like a ghost town (I forgot to take photo, sorry!). And to drive outside of Perth, you need to really make sure your tank is always full or otherwise you'll get stuck in the middle of nowhere. So always check your tank!
3. Use GPS if you're not sure where you're heading because sometimes you'll get lost especially in the city or outside of Perth where your chance to look for human to give you direction is crucial (especially in the remote area where yours is the only car on the deserted road).
4. Consider to take the reduce access insurance (if you rent a car/van/whatever) because you'll never know what's coming for you! (like suddenly a kangaroo jumping from left to right and you hit it). I've seen lots of kangaroos died on the roadside. They're so fast and you can't suddenly brake or slow down at 110km/h. Could you?
5. Know where you're going! Don't waste your time not knowing where you want to go and please plan your route.
6. To drive here by all means you must follow all the roadsigns and speed. Always give signal even at the roundabout. Don't simply speed because the speed camera is everywhere, even in a place where you least think of (like forest?). Always don't take for granted not to pay the parking fee/ticket at some remote place or at night around the city area unless if you want a "souvenir" being sent to Malaysia. (souvenir = summon)
7. In Australia, you drive on the left-hand side of the road, much like here in Malaysia. So you won't get confuse.
8. Fill the tank first and pay when finished. It's the practice here unlike in Malaysia where we pay first, then fill later. But don't run after you filled up! It's rude.
9. Most petrol station outside Perth doesn't operate 24 hours a day and close it's business as early as 5pm (some at 7pm) and resume back at 8-9am. Same goes to shops, but some supermarket like IGA close at 9pm (some area at 6pm).
10. Since the journey in WA would take like hundred of kilometers to reach from point A to point B (sometimes like half-day driving), you should call/book ahead your accommodation since most of the reception will close at 5-7pm.
Some other info you need to know about WA or Australia :
1. As Malaysian, you must apply for ETA to get in here or otherwise you'll be denied from entering the country. ETA is Electronic Travel Authority or e-visa which allows you to enter and stay in Australia for the maximum period of 3 months for each stay. For detailed info about ETA please go here.
2. Type of power point being used here is different from what we normally have in Malaysia. You can buy a traveler adapter coz it's much easy-breezy so you can use it in all countries you plan to visit.
convenience traveler adapter
power point in Australia and New Zealand
3. Time zone in WA is GMT+8 and it's same as Malaysia and Singapore.
4. Season in WA & Australia in general : Summer (December - February), Autumn (March - May), Winter (June - August) and Spring (September - November)
5. Business hours in WA in general from 9am-5.30pm. Some do extend until 9pm.
6. If you wish to bring some food from Malaysia, please read more about it in this entry which I've blogged about it sometime ago.
I think that's all for now and in the next entry I will write about interesting places that you can visit while in WA. Since I'm not sure what else to write so I'll resume again next time.
footnote : First of all, I don't initially plan to type this entry in English (which is unusual from what I normally do), but today my mood changed. Maybe next time it will be in Bahasa or whatever I don't know yet. If you find some grammatical error in this it's fine coz I don't get an A for English during school days...huhuhu~